Job Posting: Communications Coordinator
Location: McMaster Innovation Park (MIP)
Employee Group: Unifor Unit 1, Staff
Department: Inst for Research on Aging
Salary Range: $27.00 - $41.74 (hourly)
Contract Duration: 13.1 Months
Click here to apply
Responsible for coordinating the visual identity and brand strategy for the department through the facilitation of multimedia tasks that promote a program. Provide ongoing supervision for up to nine (9) casual employees at any one time.
The McMaster Institute for Research on Aging is seeking a highly motivated and self-directed communications coordinator to promote awareness of the Institute. The Coordinator will develop, implement and evaluate a communications plan and coordinate a series of events and activities that will enhance the profile of the Institute.
The Coordinator will identify promotional opportunities, develop written and web-based communications (including annual reports, newsletters, website updates and external media pitches), implement a social media strategy, and plan and execute a series of events associated with the Institute. Reporting to the Institute’s Managing Director, the Coordinator is expected to function in a team-based environment and work collaboratively with other communications personnel on campus.
Representative Duties & Responsibilities
- Create and produce original communications materials to meet departmental strategic goals including, but not limited to, print publications, video ads, website designs, electronic newsletters, retail apparel designs, and facility design.
- Design graphics, videos, and animation content for websites, digital signage networks, and other external video sources.
- Design and coordinate the implementation of original graphics and decorations.
- Write and design recruiting publications for distribution.
- Write articles for the department website and electronic distribution.
- Photograph and edit photos for use in electronic publications.
- Review and approve video content to be released online.
- Collaborate with marketing and department staff to determine communication needs.
- Work with suppliers to organize production and delivery details.
- Liaise with local and national television stations to distribute and use video content.
- Develop communication survey questions for electronic distribution. Compile and analyze results.
- Conduct searches for references to be used in media publications, website content, and presentations.
- Plan and coordinate multimedia projects that require estimates of production time, staff resources, cost, and delivery schedules.
- Coordinate web-stream including pre and post production.
- Coordinate with radio and television in creating advertisements.
- Oversee social media communications.
- Maintain and update content on the departmental website.
- Ensure league statistics are accurate and synchronized with the department website.
- Create and maintain databases to input, store, and retrieve information.
- Complete financial forms such as travel expense reports, and payroll.
- Answer or redirect general inquiries in person, by telephone and via email and respond independently to inquiries that are specific in nature and require a thorough knowledge of established policies and procedures.
- Assemble, copy, collate, and disseminate a variety of documents and materials.
- Exchange basic information in French.
- Ongoing responsibility for supervising up to 9 casual employees at any one time.
- Bachelor's degree in English, Multimedia, Computer Science, or related field.
- Requires 3 years of relevant experience.
- Experience with special event planning and execution
- Ability to translate scientific concepts into lay language for various stakeholders
- Experience developing and managing social media accounts and websites
- Ability to manage time and multiple projects efficiently
- Strong written and verbal communication skills, analytic skills, computational skills
- Strong photography skills an asset
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Strong attention to detail
- Flexible in approach to address challenges in an innovative and pragmatic way
- Commitment to high standards of professionalism