International Scientific Advisory Committee (ISAC)
The ISAC is composed of highly accomplished and world-renowned scientists who are active in aging research internationally. The Committee is an integral scientific oversight body that collaborates with the Scientific and Managing Directors to ensure that the research activities of MIRA and its corresponding Centres contribute to meeting their respective mission and goals. The ISAC also ensures objectivity and a high standard of scientific excellence when making decisions about research priorities and performance.
Members of the ISAC
- Dr. Tom Kirkwood, Newcastle University
Professor Emeritus (formerly Associate Dean for Ageing), Institute for Ageing
Agneta Malmgren Fänge, Lund University
Senior lecturer, Associate professor, Applied Gerontology; Head of department, Department of Health Sciences
- Dr. James Nazroo, University of Manchester
Professor of Sociology, Honorary
Director, Cathie Marsh Centre for Census and Survey Research
- Nicola Palmarini, Newcastle University
Director, National Innovation Centre for Ageing
Wendy Rogers, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
Khan Professor of Applied Health Sciences; Department of Kinesiology and Community Health
The ISAC is responsible for advising the Scientific and Managing Directors on the relevance and quality of the research outcomes of MIRA and its corresponding Centres, as well as assisting in decision-making regarding areas of research focus and peer review of strategic initiatives annually. The ISAC will also advise on potential international collaboration and partnership opportunities with a particular focus on research, but also potentially impacting MIRA's knowledge translation, training and education, and external relations activities.
In particular, the ISAC:
- Provides advice on strategic priorities;
- Participates in scientific review of projects, proposals, and plans in the form of iterative feedback on development of projects, rather than ranking many proposals in a competition;
- Identifies opportunities for MIRA to raise its profile, join a collaboration or apply for funding;
- Helps develop plans for increasing the visibility of MIRA.